This year Ignite UX will be on Tuesday, March 20, in downtown Ann Arbor. What is Ignite UX? Back-to back presentations, each consisting of 20 slides in five minutes on any UX topic. The slides will advance relentlessly. Will you keep up?
Submit your talk idea by January 24, 2018. You will need to propose a title and description, each no longer than a tweet—140 characters.
Our friends in northeast Ohio have posted their November 2017 Lines & Letters. Lines & Letters won an Apex award for the fourth time in June 2017, so check it out.
Face-to-Face Versus Remote Communication
Location: Lawrence Technological University (LTU)
- Maryann Bowen—Senior Manager of Education and User Experience, Saphran, Inc.
- Steven D. Krause—Professor of Rhetoric and Writing, Eastern Michigan University
- Rich Leazer—Documentation and Publishing Manager, Health Information Technology &Services, Michigan Medicine (formerly University of Michigan Health System)
- Catherine Vera-Burgos—Manager of BCN Provider Communications, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan; graduate student at Wayne State University. For the purposes of this panel discussion, Catherine Vera-Burgos was asked to participate from the perspective of a graduate student rather than a manager.
Panel Moderator: Dr. Corinne Stavish—Director of the Technical and Professional Communication Program, LTU.
Continue reading “STC-SM October Program Recap”
STC-SM’s November 30 program will be about writing for translation: what is it that translators need from a source text in order to translate that information into a high-quality target text? Forefront Corporation’s founder, Elke Kramer, will present the information you need to be sure that your documentation is ready for translation. Continue reading “November Program: Writing for Translation”
You are invited to join Refresh Detroit and Michigan Usability Professionals Association as they celebrate World Usability Day, Detroit on Thursday, November 9, 2017, with a special presentation from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. in downtown Detroit at Grand Circus, 1570 Woodward Avenue. Continue reading “World Usability Day is November 9”
We are pleased to announce that Dr. Steven D. Krause will complete our October panel, which will discuss face-to-face and computer-mediated communication. Dr. Krause’s main area of scholarly interest is the connection between writing and technology. Read more about our panelists, including Dr. Krause.
Do you consider email, video conferencing, social media, texting, and webinars “online,” “computer-mediated,” or “remote” communication? Do you think of it as faceless, inefficient, and unsettling, or contrariwise, very practical, or does it depend on who is at the other end of the communication? How do you deal with the problems? Is it just you who has trouble? [Hint: No, it is not!]
Please join STC-SM at Lawrence Tech on Wednesday, October 25, 2017, for a panel discussion about face-to-face and remote communication, the pros and cons, and best practices for various scenarios. Please register by Tuesday, October 24, 2017.
Our panelists will include
- Maryann Bowen, STC Associate Fellow and Senior Manager of Education and User Experience at Saphran, Inc.,
- Steven D. Krause, Professor of Rhetoric and Writing, Eastern Michigan University
- Rich Leazer, Manager, Documentation and Publishing Health Information Technology & Services, at University of Michigan, and
- Catherine Vera-Burgos, a graduate student at Wayne State University, and Manager at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan.
Dr. Corinne Stavish, Director of the Technical and Professional Communication Program at our sponsor, Lawrence Tech, will moderate the discussion.
Continue reading “October Program to Discuss Face-to-Face Versus Computer-Mediated Communication”
A Letter From the President
I hope you enjoyed your summer adventures and activities, but also took some time to unwind and recharge as well. As the warm weather and long days draw to a close, we are hard at work planning some exciting activities and events that we hope will keep you engaged and connected to the techcomm community while continuing to learn, grow, and develop your skills all year long. Continue reading “Welcome to the 2017-2018 STC-SM Program Year!”
September is the perfect time to reconnect with our fellow technical communication peers after we have returned from our summer adventures. Join us at Paesano Restaurant and Wine Bar in Ann Arbor for some food, drinks, and networking. STC membership is not a requirement to attend, so please bring a friend! All are welcome.
When: Thursday, September 28
Where: Paesano Restaurant and Wine Bar
3411 Washtenaw Ave, Ann Arbor, MI 48104
Time: 6:00-8:00 p.m.
There is no entrance fee, but you will be responsible for your own food and drinks. When you arrive at the restaurant, ask the host to direct you to the STC-SM table.
RSVP to STC-SM by noon the day before so we have enough seating reserved. Hope to see you there!